Meghan Markle Could Return to Acting Once Back in the UK
August 20, 2026 — Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, are planning to move back to the United Kingdom with their two children after six years based in California, according to multiple reports, fueling renewed speculation that Meghan may resume her acting career.
The Move
According to People, first reported by Variety and confirmed by other outlets including The Hollywood Reporter and ABC News, the couple intends to relocate from Montecito, California, to England for what People described as “an extended period,” with the transition set to begin in the coming weeks. The couple’s children, Archie, 7, and Lilibet, 5, are expected to start at a British school in September.
The Duke and Duchess will reportedly keep their home in Montecito, as well as a residence in Portugal, according to the Daily Telegraph. The location of their new UK home has not been disclosed. King Charles was reportedly informed of the planned move over the weekend.
Harry and Meghan have no plans to resume senior royal duties, according to the reports.
Business Context
The planned relocation follows changes to the couple’s media ventures. Netflix downgraded its overall deal with Harry and Meghan, which had produced projects including the documentary series “Harry & Meghan,” “Polo,” and Meghan’s lifestyle show “With Love, Meghan,” to a first-look agreement. Under the new arrangement, the couple’s production company, Archewell Productions, is working with Netflix on a series about polo. The couple’s Spotify podcast deal also ended after one season, and “With Love, Meghan” was not renewed for a third season.
Dominic Patten, executive editor at Hollywood publication Deadline, said the couple had not achieved the level of “superstar status” some expected when they left royal life, but noted they have kept public interest in their story despite operating in a city full of high-profile celebrities.
Acting Speculation
Meghan retired from acting in 2017 after her engagement to Prince Harry, stepping away from her role as Rachel Zane on the USA Network legal drama “Suits,” where she had starred since 2011. She had previously said in 2022 that her intention was “absolutely not” to return to acting, though she added, “I guess never say never.”
In November 2025, Meghan made a brief on-screen appearance as herself in the Amazon MGM Studios comedy “Close Personal Friends,” alongside Lily Collins, Jack Quaid, Brie Larson, and Henry Golding. It was her first acting credit in close to eight years.
Reports since have suggested Meghan may be considering a fuller return to acting. In March 2026, entertainment outlet Reality Tea reported that some of the couple’s business partnerships had been scaled back or ended, citing a source close to the Duchess who said avenues she previously relied on were “no longer delivering the same opportunities.”
Meghan has said in past interviews that she sometimes misses acting. Speaking on the “Aspire with Emma Grede” podcast, she said working on “With Love, Meghan” had helped fill part of that void by putting her back on a set with a production crew.
Neither Meghan Markle nor representatives for the Sussexes have publicly confirmed plans for a full-time return to acting.
